'A must-read for all women.'
Osteoporosis is a worldwide epidemic. You might not even know you've got it until you fracture a bone. But it doesn’t need to happen to you - osteoporosis is treatable and preventable and this book will show you how. Inside you will discover:
- Why there aren't any symptoms?
- How you can tell if you've got it?
- How you can avoid it?
- How you can boost your bone health?
- Why diet and exercise are so important?
Dr Marilyn Glenville is the UK's leading nutritionist specializing in women's health. She is the author of the international best-seller, New Natural Alternatives to HRT, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine and a member of the Nutrition Society.
"Can you answer 'yes' to any of these questions?"
- Do you have a family history of osteoporosis?
- Are you of European or Asian descent?
- Have you ever yo-yo dieted or suffered from an eating disorder such as anorexia or bulimia?
- Were you prone to irregular menstrual cycles or long gaps between periods when younger?
- Are you (or have you ever been) a smoker?
- Have you taken certain medications – steroids, heparin, anticonvulsants, diuretics, long-term laxatives or antacids?
- Have you had a thyroid problem - either under - or over-active?
- Do you not take enough (or any) exercise?
- Do you exercise too much?
- Did you have an early menopause (before the age of 40)?
- Have you had a hysterectomy and had your ovaries removed?
- Do you have a digestive problem such as Crohn's, ulcerative colitis, or coeliac disease?
- Is your alcohol and/or caffeine intake heavy (more than seven units per week or two cups of coffee or tea per day)?
- Are you underweight or slim and small-boned?
- Have you already broken any bones?
- Have you become shorter with age?
- Have you never had children?
- Are you post-menopausal?
- Are you a woman?
"If so, you may be at risk of osteoporosis..."
Chapter 1 - What is osteoporosis? 14
Chapter 2 - Risk factors 20
Chapter 3 - Testing for osteoporosis 30
Chapter 4 - Drug treatments 38
Chapter 5 - The nutritional approach to healthy bones 55
Chapter 6 - It's not only about calcium 91
Chapter 7 - Take steps for stronger bones 114
Chapter 8 - Is osteoporosis in you genes? 123
Chapter 9 - The plan of action for osteoporosis 139
Chapter 10 - Men and osteoporosis 147
Chapter 11 - Eating for stronger bones 151
Appendix 1 - Glossary 179
Appendix 2 - Useful addresses 182
Appendix 3 - Clinic information 183
Appendix 4 - MOT health screen (Menopause and Osteoporosis Test)184
Appendix 5 - Genetic testing 186